St. Mary's Greek Orthodox Church occupies the site where the
first missionaries settled in Minneapolis. In 1834, the Pond brothers
built a log cabin overlooking Lake Calhoun to learn the Dakota
language and minister to the Native Americans and incoming settlers.
The first Greek Orthodox Church in Minneapolis was located on
the University of Minnesota where the Weisman Art Museum stands.
When the second building was built, the original building was
sold and moved to its present location on Emerald Street and is
now occupied by St. Panteleimon's Russian Orthodox Church. The
second building was located at 10th Street and East
Lake Street in Minneapolis and was used from 1910-1956. The third
and present building was built in 1957 on a beautiful piece of
land overlooking the east shore of Lake Calhoun. St. Mary's serves
about 700 families in the Twin Cities area.